Thursday 11 March 2010

Mooncup

An email inquiry I sent to the Mooncup company through their website;


A few days ago, I had an appointment at the Brook, and the nurse and I began talking about my use of the Mooncup. Although she had heard of them before, the information had consisted of a ten minute talk during her training, and she'd never actually met a cup user before. On hearing my positive reaction, she wondered if perhaps cups were something that the Brook could learn more about, and suggest to girls.

I think this would be a wonderful idea. My knowledge of menstrual cups came solely from a livejournal group on the subject ( http://community.livejournal.com/menstrual_cups/ ), and when I went to buy mine from Boots, the sale assistant was initially confused as to what I was looking for (she did eventually figure out what I meant and was able to locate them, but it clearly wasn't a well known product).

So, my query is, would it not be possible to offer more information about the Mooncup or menstrual cups in general through health services such as the Brook? Even something so simple as leaflets in the waiting room, or nurses or gynacologists with more information would make a difference. I feel that it would also be helpful is Mooncups were discussed in schools, as part of sex education, or PSME lessons. Even if people don't act upon the idea right away, at least they're aware of it, and may check out more information online, or be more open towards the idea the next time it comes up.

Are there any leaflets or any other information easily available which I can carry around with me to show to people when the subject comes up?

Thank you for your time.

Just by the way, I find your reaction to the Keeper Company's unethical business practices very classy.


I sent it under "all other enquiries".

The Brook is a charity which provides free confidential advice and contraception to young people under the age of 25, and PSME was, in my school anyway, Personal, Social, Moral Education. We did two years of it in secondary and had a few odd lessons in primary school. In primary school it was all about people with disabilities, and racial issues, while in secondary it was mostly about sex, and growing up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mooncup sounds much more awesome that it actually is...


i am dissapoint...



Also, I totally didn't follow you here from Neo after seeing the famous Deis in a 5 year old thread that was bumped by a nub.

>_>

totally.