Wednesday 28 January 2009

Beyonce vs Bonnie

I've been listening to Bonnie Tyler since before I was born. I've listened to Beyonce Knowles (not always intentionally) during my formative years. And, despite the extreme difference in their sound (many of Tyler's songs were produced by the extremely theatrical Jim Steinman, who also wrote for Meatloaf, while Beyonce is far more pop/RnB) it's amazing how similar some of the ideas they hold are. SSDD - Same Sentiment, Different Decade.

Look at Destiny's Child's 'Soldier', for instance. Specifically, the chorus;

If his status ain't hood,
I ain't checkin' for him.
Betta be street if he lookin' at me.
I need a soldier,
That ain't scared to stand up for me.
Known to carry big things,
If you know what I mean.

Is the sentiment expressed here - that the lady wants a strong man - so different from the following?

I need a hero,
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night.
He's gotta be strong,
And he's gotta be fast,
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight.
I need a hero,
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light.
He's gotta be sure,
And it's gotta be soon,
And he's gotta be larger than life.

Then there's Beyonce's latest solo effort, 'If I Were a Boy', which, despite its childish sentiment, is similar in title to Bonnie's 'If You Were a Woman'. Both express the same idea - that if gender roles between lovers were reversed, they would understand one another better. Compare;

If I were a boy,
I think I could understand,
How it feels to love a girl.
I swear I'd be a better man.

With;

If you were a woman, and I was your man,
Would it be so hard to understand,
That a heart's a heart, and we do what we can?
If you were a woman and I was a man.

However, while both discuss a personal relationship, and therefore, one specific person rather than all male or female kind, Beyonce's phrasing sounds more general. While Beyonce says, that 'if she were a boy';

I'd put myself first,
And make the rules as I go.
'cause I know that she'd be faithful,
Waiting for me to come home.

Bonnie Tyler asks;

How's it feel to be a hunter
How's it feel to be the prey?
Is there really a reason for
This game we play?
I look at you
You look away
Just one day.
Why do you say we're night and day?
I'd like to try another way.

This difference in phrasing the same sentiment may explain why Bonnie Tyler has never been the focus of an essay like this one.

No comments: